Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our Trip Around the World!

This year, Z-Man will be in third grade and Little Man will be a 3 year old pre-K. We are planning to take a trip around the world! Wouldn't that be awesome? Some day... 

In the meantime, we'll do the next best thing - we'll study the countries and cultures of the world! I'm so excited about doing this and have actually been gathering resources since last year. I'll try to post my plans country by country and then come back and show some pictures of what we actually end up doing.

Our first week will be devoted to an introduction of the topic. We'll (hopefully) memorize Matthew 28:18-20:

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

We'll put photos in our passports. We also purchased world flag stickers that we'll put in when we visit each country. 

Cool books we plan to read:

P is for Passport: A World Alphabet
OH MY GOODNESS!! Have you seen these beautiful books from Sleeping Bear Press? They are truly wonderful. And if that's not enough, their website has EXCELLENT, free teacher's guides here.




How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World - this is a Five in a Row book (we LOVE FIAR!) 


Somewhere in the World Right Now




People by Peter Spier - these are always fun books



And a beautifully illustrated version of All Things Bright and Beautiful



This book is SO gorgeous that I actually considered buying two so that I could cut them apart and use the pictures as a border around the boys' room. I just couldn't bring myself to hack up a book! We'll use this book to remind us that a) the world we're going to study IS beautiful and b) God made it all!

We can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment