Ping holds a special place in my heart because this Five in a Row unit was the very first thing that Z-Man and I ever did in the way of "official" homeschooling. This week, I was so happy to re-visit it with Little Man!
Some of the things we did:
- Found China on our huge, shower curtain map from Target. That was a great purchase.
- Read about China in our atlas and found the Yangtze River.
- Tried our own colored pencil sunsets, using one of the pictures in the book as a guide.
- Read the book, Ducks by Gail Gibbons and learned about different types of ducks.
- Learned how preening makes the duck's feathers waterproof and did an experiment where we tried to mix oil and water.
- Read the book, Floating and Sinking by Franklyn Branley, and did our own buoyancy experiments, using this chart from Homeschoolshare.com. We discussed what a hypothesis is and I taught Z-Man, who couldn't resist tagging along, how to calculate percentages.
All in all, a great week of fun and learning!