Sunday, August 9, 2009

What to put in a work box?

I was explaining the work box system to a friend the other day and she asked what kinds of things I put in the kids' boxes. It occurred to me that a post listing some of those items might be in order. Check here for my initial post explaining and extolling the virtues of this wonderful homeschool organizing system.

I put as much of Z-Man's "regular" work in the work boxes as possible - math and language arts worksheets, books to read alone or for read-aloud time, copywork, etc. - only one activity per box and I try to alternate fun things with challenging work. He has to do them in order and, since we use clear shoe boxes, the fun stuff is visible and serves as motivation.

In Z-Man's boxes:

Games:
Telling time bingo
Domino math
Scrambled States of America
Pack of cards for addition war
File folder games - free ones here
Here are some free, printable game boards for Bible review

Misc.:
coloring pages of things we're working on
a mind bender or word puzzle
materials for science experiments
ingredients and recipe to bake something!
magnifier and things to examine
Bible with a verse noted to look up and write for copywork
note to review memory verses with Mom
look up something in the dictionary
nature scavenger hunt
all sorts of craft projects
animal cards to classify (mammal, reptile, amphibian, etc.)
month cards to put in order
put the animal cards in alphabetical order
materials and address to send a thank-you card
audio book
trampoline time!
an educational video
lapbook components
permission to do something fun on the computer:
Math:
a cup of change to count
tangrams
geo board with shape cards
ruler and things to measure
our Math-it game
skip count tape to listen to
note to watch a schoolhouse rock video on Youtube
a 100 board with a fun little mystery to solve
calendar problems
wrap-ups
a graphing assignment (ex: At the gym today, find out what everyone's favorite cookie is. When we get home, create a bar graph with the data)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head and from going back over my day planner. I think you can see that the possibilities are probably limitless and I love that!

Coming soon - Little Man's boxes!



1 comment:

  1. Wow great info.! Looks like y'all have fun days full of adventure! We r starting our homeschooling this yr with my 2 and 4 yr old. I'm excited to try the work box system and having ur list inspires me to be creative! Thanks

    ReplyDelete